Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Senior Status - The Beginning of the End!

It is hard to believe that just a few days ago I started my senior year at Elmira College. Sometimes it felt like I was never going to make it to this point, or that I wasn't going to pass or even that time wasn't going by so fast, but it really, truly has! This year I am living in Meier Hall, the newest dorm on campus which basically is like a mini-Hogwarts! I feel like I am living in college cribs luxury with AC, private bathrooms, wood floors, high ceilings, HUGE rooms, and literally state-of-the-art everything. With study rooms, an exercise room, and huge lounges it is a wonderful place to live. Many of my close friends are living in Meier too so it is wonderful being so close to everyone. Here are a few picture of my room!
 Private bathroom - check out the EC spirit with purple and gold walls!
A few different panoramas of my room!

Anyways, senior year is officially 2 days in. As VP of tap ensemble this year we are starting to get ready for our club meetings and tap dances. Octagon fair is in a few weeks and we will set up a booth and showcase our mini-dance to the college community and local community. My parents are also coming that weekend because I was asked to be inducted into the Nursing Honors Society, Sigma Theta Tau! The professors on campus choose students who hold a GPA of 3.0 or higher, excel in class and clinical, show leadership skills, and are an overall well-rounded, good person. I was so excited when I found out and am really looking forward to having them here for the weekend! Until then, classes are up and running and clinical begins this week. This term I have family clinical which takes place at Robert Packer Hospital. I will be on the cancer unit in which I will be dealing with many terminally ill patients and the families of these patients. I know it is going to be extremely challenging but so very rewarding. I am a bit out of my comfort zone in this area because I really hate cancer and am not interested in ever working on a unit like this, but I know it will be so rewarding and help me to develop as a nurse and person. On Thursdays, I have my pediatrics clinical in which I will rotate from pediatric day surgery (i.e. patient prep, follow them through surgery, post-op, etc.) to the pediatric clinic where I will do well visits and sick visits, to finally a rotation in the ER where I will hopefully have some pediatric clients to work with. I am excited for this term because although I am not interested in working in pediatrics in the future, I know I will get a lot out of this clinical and learn to work with people of all ages in a variety of situations. Overall, I think it will be a wonderful senior year and I am excited for all of the exciting things to come as I embark on the final chapter of my college career. Just think, in one short year I will have graduated college and hopefully passed the NCLEX (nursing license exam) and landed myself a job!

No comments:

Post a Comment