Monday, September 23, 2013

Parent's Weekend, Octagon Fair and Exciting Nursing Student Milestones!

This past week was full of excitement in all areas. First, we finally had Mountain Day, the EC tradition of no classes and a fun filled day of puddle raft races, inflatable games, BBQ picnic lunch, EC Olympic games, pancake breakfast, Quarry Farm run/tour, and did I say NO CLASSES?!?! Anyways, like usual it was a hit and started the night before at the SAB sponsored dance in the campus center and that was wild! Needless to say, the campus was a fun place to be!

Then I had lots of work for nursing, but it was an exciting week as I had my first pediatric patient and I followed him through with his surgery. It was definitely a good experience because working with kids really is so different than adults. I also watched an INCREDIBLE surgery of facial deconstruction including removal of the lower jaw. It was so amazing to see this take place and really understand the anatomy of the face. I also worked with my first cancer patient this week which is always a great learning opportunity. I truly focused on the family and giving my patient the best individualized care possible. I hope that I get to have more chances to work with patients and their families who are dealing with the hardships and life changes of cancer.

As the week concluded, Parent's Weekend and Octagon Fair went off. Unfortunately due to rain, tap was unable to perform but our booth went so great. We sold so many unique and creative ornaments, I painted lots of faces, and we gathered lots of donations, making this one of our most successful Octagon Fairs EVER! Overall, the fair went great and all of the clubs and performances were amazing. I think we will do this craft again as the parents loved them! On Friday night when my parents first arrived, we got all dressed up and took a few pictures in front of the fountain before we went to the campus event "A Taste of the Finger Lakes" which was a sampler of food and wine from the area. It was delicious and fun to taste all of the local flavors. We then headed to to my nursing honors society induction, Sigma Theta Tau. I was SO excited to even be accepted into this elite honors society and the ceremony was fantastic. A little less than 1/3 of my class was inducted and everyone that got in truly has proved they can hold a high GPA and deliver skilled nursing care as a leader. I am so thankful my parents were able to attend. 


 EC Tap Ensemble booth!

  
I did lots of face painting at the fair!


The rest of the pictures are from the Sigma Theta Tau Induction!



 The EC class of 2014 members who were inducted!

  My dad and me before the induction in front of the fountain!


 My official certificate of membership!

 My Parents at the induction!

 One of my favorite nursing buddies and fellow inductee, Jess!

On Saturday night following the conclusion of Octagon Fair, rather than attending the Class of 2014 champagne toast reception, my parents and I went on a Finger Lakes adventure and went to dinner and the movies. As corny as it sounds, it was a really fun time and I had a great weekend spending time with my family. 

As you can see, this weekend was busy and filled with excitement so now I am playing catch up with all my work but it was well worth it. I will soon have more to post! Onto the piles of homework calling my name!

No comments:

Post a Comment