Sunday, November 17, 2013

Festivities Begin!

This year, holiday weekend and the holiday festivities are starting earlier due to the way Thanksgiving and Christmas fall within the academic calendar. With that said, many of the holiday events for clubs have already begun and everyone at EC is already getting into the holiday spirit!

This weekend, nursing club got together at one of our professor's houses and baked hundreds and hundreds of cookies as well as candy. We also made lots of earrings this year to sell as well. Each year the club gathers and members bring cookie dough that we bake to then sell on campus. All of the proceeds from the sale go directly to a fund we create for adopt-a-family and after we sell everything, the officers go out and purchase Christmas gifts for the family. The more money we raise, the better! Then we are able to buy so much more for a family less fortunate. It really is a fun event. Denise, our professor, also cooks us a delicious Italian dinner so it is always nice to have a home cooked meal! Here are some pictures from the event!

 This is Denise's precious dog. On the left is the candy before being cooled and after. So delicious raspberry flavor!

This is Abby and me! She is one of my nursing friends daughter and she came to help at the event too!

In other news, the Orchesis show was this past week in which the club performs all the dances they have been working so hard on this past term. It is offered as an Encore performance for the sophomores and freshman, but I enjoy to go and support my fellow dancers and tappers. It was a great show with some really incredible dances. Next term I am going to try out a solo tap routine and hopefully it will get in!

I got to go to the ER again for clinical this week and it was an awesome experience. I did a few IV's, had a child come in with an asthma attack, and many other interesting patients. I definitely felt like I learned a lot and had another good opportunity to work on my skills hands-on. This week I hope to get more experiences like this. 

EC recently created a new dining option in which all students are given $100 off their meal cards to eat at two local restaurants, Horigans, an Irish pub, and Buffalo Wild Wings, a sports bar and grill. The money is for the two terms since this is just a test of the new system, but I know many students have enjoyed this option and really like being able to use their meal cards off campus. This past weekend I went to Horigans with one of my friends and had an amazing dinner! I really enjoyed a new option for dining and will definitely go back!

Besides that, this is the final week before Thanksgiving break as crazy as that seems! I still cannot believe it, it seriously flew by! I have tons of homework to do this week to prepare for vacation and then some more to do over break! I know the whole student body, myself included, is ready for a week-long vacation! By the time we come back, we will just have two weeks left before Christmas break!

No comments:

Post a Comment